New Beginnings Program Domestic Violence Social Worker, External Posting, Competition #23-04
Catholic Family Services of Toronto is a non-profit, charitable organization reflecting the values consistent with Catholic social teachings. The mission of Catholic Family Services of Toronto is to deliver quality services that strengthen family life, and individual health and well-being. For 101 years, Catholic Family Services of Toronto has been helping individuals and families in the Toronto area, from all religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, to deal with a variety of life transitions and challenges, develop their full potential and move towards a more positive future. A leader in the Catholic social service community, the agency works closely with the Archdiocese of Toronto and its parishes, as well as the broader community and social service sector.
Catholic Family Services of Toronto delivers high quality professional services and is committed to hiring staff and volunteers from diverse backgrounds without discrimination because of race, ancestry, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability.
New Beginnings is a ministry of the Archdiocese of Toronto which reaches out to people who have lost a spouse either through death or separation/divorce. The ministry is accomplished through small, parish-based groups, larger educational lectures and individual counselling. The common thread running through the various activities is that the ministry seeks to help participants access the wisdom of the Christian tradition to help them heal from their suffering and loss.
Catholic Family Services of Toronto is currently seeking a full-time contract Counsellor position reporting Program Manager for the Violence Against Women Program. The incumbent will be working from our Central Office. This position is a one-year contract position and will be required to work two (2) evenings per week.
This is a collective bargaining unit position within OPSEU Local 594.
The primary duties required for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide counselling services for those who are bereaved, separated and/or divorced with dynamics of violence against women in their relationships
- Have an excellent understanding of the dynamics of abusive relationship
- Ability to integrate spiritual and faith components as part of healing and recovery from trauma into counseling practice
- Sound knowledge of group methodology, highly developed skills in working with groups, and a strong ability to work as part of a team
- Conceptual framework and demonstrated skills in individual counseling, couple counseling and marital family therapy
- Knowledge and ability to work with survivors of childhood sexual assault an asset
- Ability to work in program development
- Ability to work with diverse groups and a second language would be an asset
- A working understanding of the Catholic faith and its values
- The candidate must have an ability to work collaboratively on an inter-agency basis and with other VAW service providers
- Performing other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers, College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario or College of Psychologists of Ontario is required;
- Master’s degree in Social Work or related sciences;
- Knowledge and experience in conducting clinical counseling/psychotherapy including individual, couple and family therapy;
- Ability and willingness to work under the umbrella of values and social teachings of the Catholic Church:
- Ability to conduct single-session counselling in the context of a Walk-In Counselling Clinic;
- Knowledge and experience in group methodology; and knowledge of systems and personal dynamics on violence against women, especially in intimate relationships;
- Experience in providing group work with women who have experienced abuse in their intimate partner relationships;
- Knowledge of personality development, family life cycle, family systems, and trauma treatment and trauma informed care;
- Knowledge and experience working with mental health and the dynamics associated with women who experience abuse in their relationships
- Ability to be sensitive to the needs of people from diverse cultural and racial backgrounds;
- Ability to help clients access their faith and spirituality in the service of their goals;
- Fluency in a second language is an asset;
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records check.
Annual Salary Range: $59,088.53 to $79,072.84
Candidates are invited to indicate their interest in this position by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 12, 2023 or longer until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Catholic Family Services of Toronto. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.